People who are good public speakers always have an edge over others who do not know the art of public speaking. If you want to master the art of public speaking then correct training & technique are a must. Preparation and practice alone can help you overcome the fear of facing a large audience. Below are some tips on mastering this art and becoming professional public speakers.
- It is commonly observed that when a person is about to enter the stage to address a large audience, his heart starts beating frantically, some even develop cold feet. People often s experience a nervous feeling like butterflies in stomach. The main cause of such a feeling is often the pressure to do well. This is the time to take deep breathes, relax, move slowly towards the stage & begin the speaking. The fact that these are the initial jitters experienced by many and it is quite natural, should help you keep relax.
- Your actions speak louder than words. Correct posture reflects great confidence. Your posture should be relaxed with one foot little forward.
- Unnecessary gestures can leave a bad impression. Gestures should be in co-ordination with the topic.
- Eye contact is another important factor which radiates confidence and helps to build a rapport with the audience. Make sure to maintain eye contact with each and every person in the audience. Do not make the mistake of looking up at the ceiling or down at the floor.
- Focus on word-stress, as emphasis on the wrong word can give different messages to people.
- Taking a pause is equally important while maintaining a good flow of speech. A good rule is to take a pause of 2 seconds after a coma & 4 seconds after a full stop.
- A good voice level ensures that your voice reaches people sitting at the back. Also it radiates your confidence as a speaker. Your volume speaks volumes about you.
There are many course conducted on Public Speaking. These courses & books related to public speaking can be very useful in overcoming any fear. Convey enthusiasm through your body language & speech and you’ll surely win over your audience.